Coronavirus/COVID-19 Update: March 16, 2020
Heritage Academy and the Heritage family are in unchartered waters yet our mission remains: Inspire, Challenge and Motivate our students.
Our staff met virtually this morning and have continued to meet, talk, and plan through the day. I am proud of the commitment exhibited by the Heritage faculty and staff. They have shown great resolve, flexibility and willingness to do what it takes to continue instruction (however, that may look in the coming weeks). We are developing a Distance Learning Plan. The details should be in place by the end of the week and ready to implement on Monday, March 23 as needed.
I wanted to pass along some information shared by the Mid-South Association of Independent Schools (MAIS), one of the accrediting associations to which we belong.
MAIS Recommendation: The MAIS recommended that member schools close beginning Monday, March 16 for one week. In response, Heritage Academy extended Spring Break for students by one week. A waiver will be granted so that this week will not be required to be made up.
• The MAIS will utilize a week-to-week approach when considering additional school closures; announcements will be made on the preceding Fridays, beginning March 20. Heritage Academy will adopt the same approach.
• Beginning today, all MAIS activities and Athletic Events will be suspended and reconsidered on a week-to-week basis. Heritage Academy has done the same. This includes the suspension of sports practices at Heritage.
• The MAIS will re-evaluate this fluid situation and will provide updates as the latest information becomes available.
• Class Time: Heritage Academy will use this week (March 16-20) to prepare for implementing Distance Learning experiences for our students. Our preparations are a contingency plan that if needed will be implemented beginning Monday, March 23.
• ACT/Aspire (updated): The April 4, 2020 ACT National Test date has been moved to June 13. The ACT District/Weekday on March 24 has not been cancelled. However, Heritage has elected to give on the re-take date of April 7 should we be back in school. Information on the administration of the Aspire will be posted and will be shared out soon.
• Professional Development through the MAIS: The high school science workshop has been postponed.
• Academic Competitions: Only the district competitions have been postponed to date. The MAIS will publish guidance on Association-wide competition in the coming weeks.
• Athletics: MAIS Athletics are suspended. At the present time, MAIS does not intend to cancel spring sports.
The CDC has put out updated guidance for schools https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/guidance-for-schools.html around community exposure steps.
Dr. Greg Carlyle